Many people get nervous at the thought of wisdom tooth extraction. However, the process is done very quickly and requires no effort from the patient. It is afterwards when great care is needed to keep the site clean and free from infection. The first week of recovery is a critical time when patients are most prone to complications. Here at Simply Wisdom Teeth, you will be provided with a list of instructions to follow post extraction. These Home Care instructions will provide you with the best care as you begin the process of recovery.
- Bite down on gauze for two hours, changing every 20 minutes or when soaked through with blood and saliva. The main bleeding will usually last 2-6 hours, but don’t be alarmed if bleeding continues. You can expect slight oozing for up to 24-48 hours. When resting on the first day, keep your head slightly elevated using two pillows. Lying down flat or trying to get up too soon will cause more bleeding and swelling.
- Apply ice packs to the affected area, for the first 36 hours. On the third to fifth days following the wisdom teeth removal, apply heat to the swollen areas as often and as long as possible until swelling disappears.
- Do not rinse the mouth for 24 hours. Once that first 24 hours has passed, start rinsing with lukewarm salt-water rinses. DO NOT SWISH WATER OR SPIT AGGRESSIVELY! Fill your mouth with water and turn your head from side to side allowing the water to gently move from one side of the mouth to the other. Allow the water to fall into the sink when finished. Repeat 10-15 times a day for the first seven days until healing is complete.
- For 5-7 days following extraction, a liquid diet is best. Focus on eating foods that do not require chewing and do not use a straw. Be sure to rinse gently after each meal (as directed in #3) gradually return to a normal diet by day seven. Suggested foods for first 24-72 hours:
- Smoothies (without seeds)
- Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Breakfast
- Liquid nutrition drinks
- Cream Soups
- Apple Sauce
- Ice Cream
5. Pick up the prescriptions on your way home or as soon as possible. Take the tablets upon arriving home; Follow the instructions given on the reverse side of this page.
6. Your stitches will dissolve and fall out on their own in 2-4 days. If they fall out sooner, this is fine. Please do not worry. If they are still in place after one week, call our office for a removal appointment.
The healing time needed after wisdom tooth extraction varies from person to person and depends on the severity of the case as well as the method of removal. Following these instructions from Simply Wisdom Teeth will allow the most comfort during your recovery and prevent any complications from arising.
Simply Wisdom Teeth helps make wisdom teeth removal simple and hassle free.
All 4 Wisdom Teeth For Only $899
Looking for Wisdom Teeth Removal in Las Vegas, NV? Check out the link below